The 37th Annual Horse Show, featuring hunter trials, jumping, and play day events, is at Hawaii Preparatory Academy at 9 a.m. on Sunday, April 21, at the school’s upper campus in Waimea.
“This show welcomes riders from throughout the state,” said show manager Judy Folk.
Terri Impson, of Kahua Ranch, will judge. Impson, who was the first president of the AJQHA, now AQHYA, in Hawaii, has been riding and training for 35 years. She has won numerous championships at Dressage at Devon, was coach to the 2012 USEA Pony of the Year and 2012 BN Junior Rider national champion, and was a team silver medalist at the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzou, China. Impson and her teammate, Nina Ligon, were the first women to win an eventing medal in the history of the Asian Games.
Riders will compete in the following divisions and ribbons will be awarded through sixth place:
Division A: Jumping, $5 entry fee per class
1. Crossrails Equitation—trot and/or canter
2. Hunter Over Crossrails—trot and/or canter
3. Equitation Over Fences—Open 2’ to 2’3
4. Open Jumper 2’ to 2’3
5. Open Hunter 2’ to 2’3 timed first round with time allowed and time limit, jump off for clear rounds will be raised up to 6 inches
Division B: Hunter Trials ($35 entry fee)
6. Leaping Lizards: 7 to 10 jumping efforts, about 2’6. The Optimum Time will be based on 350 meters per minute.
7. Brave Hearts: 13 to 15 jumping efforts, about 2’9. The Optimum Time will be based on 350 meters per minute.
Division C: Play Day ($5 per class) All classes are grouped by ability.
8. Walk/Trot Pleasure (English or Western)
9. Walk/Trot Equitation (English or Western)
10. Equitation (English or Western)
11. Pleasure (English or Western)
12. Leadline walt/trot Equitation
13. Stalls Game (timed ride maneuvering between poles laid on the ground)
14. Bucket Elimination (English or Western).
15. Ribbon Race (English or Western)
16. Balance and Hold Game (English or Western)
17. Potato Race
18. Ride and Lead (English or Western)
The event is free and open to the public. Volunteer jump judges are needed. For more information or show registration, contact Judy Folk at 885-4302, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.