Looking for summer activities? With fewer than six weeks until school ends, programs are starting to fill up. Following are a few North Hawaii opportunities. To add your program to the list, please email Lisa Marie Dahm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kahilu Theatre’s Summer Arts: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., June 2-July 3, at Kahilu Theatre. For students ages 6-12 with completion of kindergarten a requirement. To include dance with Michal Anna Carrillo/Lavaroots Performing Arts, soccer, art, martial arts, drumming and more including learning in the Mala’ai school garden and educational field trips. Cost is $550 per student. For information email email@example.com, or call Alva 885-6868 between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Waimea Middle School Summer School: for incoming 5th-8th graders: June 9-27, 8 a.m.-2:45 p.m. Includes breakfast, lunch and busing daily for all Waimea students – not limited to WMS students. Will include academic and organizational skill building and weekly place-based excursions. Cost is $50. Scholarships are available. Applications available at school office or online at www.WaimeaMiddleSchool.org.
Kanu o ka ‘Aina’s Summer Enrichment Program: 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, June 2-July 10 – no sessions on Fridays. Six weeks. Open to all Waimea students completing pre-school to 6th grade. Workshops to include computer technology, math, reading, native Hawaiian culture, native environment, health and well-being, Sports fundamentals, music, and more. Participants must bring lunch and drinking water daily. Will include outdoor sports and activities daily. Cost: $150. Information and applications, visit www.kalo.org, or call Te at 890-2508 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hawaii Learning Resource Summer Academic Enrichment Spy Camps: held at Kanu o ka Aina in Waimea. For diverse learners in grades 2 to 5. Spy Camp Session 1 is June 9-20 and session 2 from June 23 to July 3, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Enrollment limited to 20 per session. Application packets are available on the Hawaii Learning Resource website, www.hawaiilearningresource.org, or by calling 885-9318. Camp tuition is $400 per student for each two-week session. Healthy snacks and all camp supplies are included.
HPA Summer programs: For toddlers to students entering grade 12. For registration and information, call the Auxiliary Programs Office at 881-4088, email email@example.com, or visit the school website atwww.hpa.edu. Programs include:
• Equestrian Camps: May 27-29 and June 3-5: For information, registration or to arrange a trail ride, call Judy Folk at 885-4302 or 937-2569 or register online at: www.hpa.edu/summer/sports-camps.
• Junior Tennis Camps: May 27-Aug. 12: For more information, call Jeff Lewis at 881-4037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Summer Session: June 24-July 18. Several offerings for students entering grades 6-12 to include a foray into Kawaihae’s rich Hawaiian history. Other activities include learning renewable energy at HPA’s Energy Lab, culinary skills, field trips, and cooking. Also SAT Prep by College Prep Genius, Algebra II, ceramics, videography, drivers education, geometry, photojournalism/yearbook, creative writing, and more. Financial aid available.
• Ka Makani Kids Camp: June 23-July 18 at Session 1: June 23-July 4; Session 2: July 7-18 For rising K-5th grade students. Camps divided into groups—Grades K-2 and Grades 3-5. Students will explore “go green” concepts in an integrated, safe, and creative hands-on environment. For information on fees and to register at 881-4088 or e-mail email@example.com. Space limited; registration deadline May 1.
• Summer Swim Academy: June 2-26 at Session 1—June 2-12; Session 2—June 16-26 A great opportunity to learn to swim or to advance swimming technique and endurance. All levels of classes from 12 months to pre-Team are provided. For more information, email Sarie Imonen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parker School Summer Extension Program: for ages 11-18, seven weeks of half-day enrichment opportunities, June 2- July 18, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., with a wide variety of experiential activities designed to inspire and engage each student. Cost is $125 per week of programming.
Courses include a drama intensive, self-defense/Chinese kempo, sustainability: land and culture, dance and media intensive, outdoor survival skills and Leave No Trace Training, chorus intensive, jewelry design and creation, debate, improvisation and acting games.
Parker School Summer Camp for ages 5-12, is June 2-July 18, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., offering a wide variety of activities with off-campus excursions. Cost is $195 per week, or $1,200 for the summer. For more information email email@example.com, call 885-7933, or visit parkerschoolhawaii.org.
Hawaii County Parks and Recreation Summer Fun Programs: All of the following Hawaii County Programs are for youth who have completed K, to 6, and student must be 5 years old by Dec. 31, 2013. Program to include arts and crafts projects, indoor/outdoor games, sports, music, dance, nature exploration, swimming, special events and excursions. Program guides can be accessed at www.hawaiicounty.gov/pr-recreation.
Waimea Summer Fun Program: 8 a.m.-3 p.m., June 9- July 18, at the Waimea Community Center. Limited to 60 with preliminary deadline Thursday, April 17, and will continue until full. Cost is $140 and includes $40 activity fee for camp T-shirt, bowling, movies, beach barbecue. May include a free lunch program. For more information, call Melissa Samura at 887-3014 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honokaa Summer Fun Program: Honokaa Gym, June 9-July 18, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., at the Honokaa gym. Cost is $100 per child. Registration is May 1-21, Monday-Thursday 12:30 to 2 p.m. and 6-7:30 p.m. and Friday, 2 to 4 p.m. at Honokaa gym. Registration will continue until enrollment is met. For more information, contact Anna Muranaka at 775-7505.
Paauilo Summer Fun Program, Paauilo Gym, June 9-July 18, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Cost is $100 per child. Registration is during normal working hours at Paauilo gym. Registration will continue until enrollment is met. For more information, contact Shannon Ochi at 776-7601.
Kohala Summer Fun Program, Kamehameha Park complex, June 9-July 18, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., at Hisaoka Gym. Cost is $110 per child, which includes a $10 activity fee to be used for movies. Registration is now until May 15, 4-6 p.m., at Hisaoka Gym and will continue until enrollment is full. Call Jansen “Kekai” Nakamura or Renee Gonsalves at 889-6505 for more information.
Waikoloa Summer Fun Program, at Waikoloa Park, June 9-July 18, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Cost is $140 per child, which includes a $40 activity fee to be used for movie, shave ice and an end of summer bash. Registration is from now until May 9, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., at Waikoloa Park until enrollment is full. For more information, contact Fred Lau at 883-6100.