On Sunday, Jan. 12, at 4 p.m., the historic Hokuloa Church in Puako will dedicate its new bell tower. The church was built by the Rev. Lorenzo Lyons in 1858 and was first dedicated when the bell was installed on March 21,1860. For more than a year, the bell has not be rung because of deterioration of the bell supports and tower caused by dry rot and termites. The bell tower was last repaired in 1966.
The bell tower is 6 by 6 feet and approximately 8 feet high. It has a triangular two-foot spike on the top of the four corners. The bell was cast in 1776 and shipped to Hawaii Island along with five other bells to be installed in churches built by Rev. Lyons. It arrive in Kawaihae and was carried on two poles to Puako. The bells cost about $100 each. The bell was rung in Puako to announce Sunday worship and on other special occasions.
The repairs to the bell tower were approved by the State Historic Preservation Division because the church is on the State Historic Register. Glenn Mason of Mason Architects Inc. of Honolulu guided the repairs made by Salera Pacific Carpentry of Waikoloa.
The celebration on Jan. 12 will include a brief history of the bell, recognition of those who contributed to the repairs, and special music by the Wood Chamber Players. The church is located at 69-1600 Puako Beach Dr. in Puako.