Thelma Parker Memorial Public and School Library is one of 16 libraries statewide that will offer readers free comic books from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, in celebration of the 12th anniversary of Free Comic Book Day. Library patrons showing their valid Hawaii State Public Library System card will receive a special free comic book, while supplies last. Participating libraries’ local Friends groups, Jelly’s the Original, and Collector Maniacs are sponsoring this year’s event.
Free Comic Book Day (www.freecomicbookday.com) is celebrated worldwide on the first Saturday in May and participating libraries and comic book shops have given away millions of free comic books over the past 11 years. Each participating HSPLS library will offer a variety of comic books for all ages. Readers can choose from among popular series. At Thelma Parker Library, these include:
• DC Nation Super Sampler #1: Features all-new stories from the DC Kids lines, Beware The Batman and Teen Titans Go!, based on Warner Bros. Animation’s new animated series.
• Disney Fairies: with Tinker Bell, along with comics from the new hit series, STARDOLL!
• Dragon Ball and Rurouni Kenshin Restoration: Featuring two stories, the first Dragon Ball, an update on the Chinese “Monkey King” myth, and Meiji swordsman Himura Kenshin.
• Star Wars, Captain Midnight, Avatar - Three stories: Star Wars with fan-favorite villains Darth Vader and Boba Fett, Dark Horse series Captain Midnight, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
• Superman special edition - This is a starting point for fans looking forward to Warner Bros. Pictures’ Man of Steel major motion picture. The issue features the first chapter of the Superman: Last Son of Krypton graphic novel featuring Superman’s battle with General Zod and the Phantom Zone villains.
• Walking Dead Special - This special Walking Dead issue contains a new short story featuring Tyrese, who made his television debut in The Walking Dead Season 3. It also reprints short stories featuring Michonne, The Governor and Morgan.
Thelma Parker Memorial Public and School Library is at 67-1209 Mamalahoa Hwy. in Kamuela. For more information, call 887-6067. Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday; 12:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday; closed Sunday and Monday